If you are interested in a future in any medical-related field, a Healthcare Science concentration provides challenging academic courses, relevant on-the-job experience, and specialized technical skills that will prepare you for a future in this high paced, high demand career field. According to the Georgia Department of Labor, careers in the healthcare field account for almost 75 percent of the projected new job growth among professions that require at least an associate degree.
In the classroom and laboratory experiences, students build solid math, science, reading, writing, and communication skills. Special emphasis is placed on developing the problem-solving and decision-making skills requires for the fast-paced healthcare industry. Through Healthcare Science courses, students learn basic concepts of health, wellness, and preventative care: medical terminology, microbiology; life support skills; and the ethical and legal responsibilities of today’s health care provider.
Students enrolled in Healthcare Science will have many opportunities to put classroom knowledge and skills into practice through various clinical experiences and internships. By working in a variety of healthcare settings, students will have an opportunity to explore a wide range of careers in the field.
Graduates can transition into high-demand entry-level healthcare careers and/or continue their education at the post secondary institution of their choice. Many hospitals and medical centers provide tuition-reimbursement options and professional development opportunities to employees.
HEALTH SCIENCE CAREER PATHWAY COURSE DESCRIPTIONS
- Therapeutic Services-Patient Care
*Health Careers in Georgia* - Click this link to explore health careers in Georgia. Resources shared include a "Health Careers in Georgia" guide; health career videos; health career education program information; college planning and financial aid information; and an interview guide.
*ExploreHealthCareers.org* - Click this link to explore careers in 27 health specialty areas from Allied Health Professions to Veterinary Medicine.
*O-Net Health Science Occupations and Careers List* - Click this link to learn about occupations and careers in Health Science areas from Biotechnology Research and Development to Therapeutic Services.
*CareerOneStop Career Videos* - Click this link to access career videos related to a multitude of occupations and careers in the Health Science Career Cluster.
*Careers in Health* - Click this link to watch videos learn about careers in health including careers in environmental health, medicine, nutrition, physical therapy, and public health.
*Careers in Physical Education* - Click this link to watch videos learn about careers in physical education including careers in athletic coaching, athletic training, exercise science, sports administration and management, and sports therapy.
* Nursing Career Guides and Resources
CAREER & TECHNICAL STUDENT ORGANIZATION:
HOSA Future Health Professionals (Georgia HOSA)
Founded in 1976
MISSION : The mission of HOSA is to enhance the delivery of compassionate, quality health care by providing opportunities for knowledge. skills and leadership development of all health science technology education students, therefore, helping students to meet the needs of the health care community.
- 13,500+ Georgia HOSA Members
- 200,000 National HOSA Members
- 250+ Chapters in Georgia
- Represented in 105 Countries in Georgia
- 2.5 Million National HOSA Alumni
- 42 years of Consecutive National Membership Growth
- Consecutive Membership Growth in Georgia from Charter Date
- Officers JumpStart- Chapter Officer Training
- Washington Leadership Academy- Leadership Training/Advocacy for State Officers and Local Members
- Fall Leadership Rally- Motivational Leadership Rally for Membership
- Fall Leadership Conference- Leadership Development Conference for all Members
- State Leadership Conference Qualification testing- 1st Level of Skill Development, Qualify for State Leadership Conference
- State Leadership Conference- Culmination of Skill Development, over 50 Skill Based Competitions
- Largest HOSA State Leadership Conference in U.S.
- Fastest Growing State and National CTSO
- 100% Healthcare